Thursday 10 April 2014

Revision progress report

I wanted to write my revision progress report, but I'm so tired I don't remember what I wanted to write about. I only know that I wasted a week on revising the same piece for the third time, but, when I read it to my critique partner again, she said that she liked the previous version much better, even with its faults. It then occurred to me that all I had to do was to get rid of the faults and not to rewrite the whole thing over again - now in great detail, which completely ruined it all. Funnily enough, I did what my critique partner wanted me to do: explain everything. But, once explained, it robbed the story of its layer of mystery. Less is more, it seems, when it comes to revision and, of course, to how much information you want your reader to receive. I mean, some things should be left untold...

No comments:

Post a Comment